Monday, November 3, 2008

Well done good and faithful servant

The words above all others I ever desire to hear. These words have been with me nearly my entire life. They come from the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30). This is the one where the master gives 3 servants different amount of talents. When the master came back to settle accounts, the one with 5 now had 10 and the one with 2 now had 4. He spoke these amazing words to them both, and added "you have been faithful over little. I will set you over much." The servant to whom he gave but 1 talent went and buried his. When asked to give account he blasphemed his master with ridiculous logic. He was found wicked and slothful. So his talent was taken and given to the servant with many. "Even what he has will be taken away." A huge lesson - sometimes the most evil thing we can do is nothing.

I often feel I've been hiding my master's money. I know I'm guilty of squandering "talent". The good, comforting news is "if our few talents be rightly used, neither our own conscience nor our Master's judgement shall condemn us for not having more." - Charles Spurgeon

I pray to hear those words from the mouth of God one day ... "Well done, good and faithful servant." Nothing else could ever fulfill me more.

No comments: